"Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which me must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success."
Business planning / case study one
Robert, age 43, Married
Wife never worked
2 grown up children
Regular income but paying too much tax
- An Accountant introduced us to Robert. When he was dealing with Robert’s tax return, Robert grumbled about the amount of tax that he and his wife Kate were paying, and so the Accountant suggested that they spoke to us.
- Robert has significant income from pensions and other investments as a result of his successful business. He also had a substantial amount of cash in the bank.
- By contrast Kate had looked after the home and had brought up their two children, so she had only a modest amount of cash savings and a basic State Pension. She did, however, have an investment portfolio that she had inherited from her mother.
What we did
- We carried out a lifetime cash flow together with an analysis of their investments and their tax position. Kate is a non-taxpayer due to her level of income, but Robert was paying a tax at 40%.
- We recommended transferring assets between them so that more of their income was only taxed at 20%, saving them a considerable amount of tax.
- We also scheduled regular reviews to update the cash flow model monitor the tax efficiency and the performance of their investment portfolios, including making maximum use of their Capital Gains Tax allowance and making full use of their ISA allowances.
- We were also able to make use of some valuable Inheritance Tax measures to ensure that their children would get to keep more of their parents’ estate. We also identified replacement savings accounts to achieve higher rates of interest.
- As a result of our advice Robert and Kate now pay a lot less Income Tax, generate income tax efficiently and will have reduced their exposure to Inheritance Tax.
As with our other case studies, this is based on real client scenarios, but with slight alterations to protect the identity and privacy of the individuals. You should not make investment decisions on the basis of the information in this case study without taking advice from a suitably qualified and authorised adviser.
Visit our Information Hub
Information is the key to wise decisions. The Otus Information Hub is packed with articles, videos and case studies to guide you in making smart choices about your financial future.
Get in touch with Otus
If you like what you’ve seen so far, please get in touch to ask any further questions you may have.